25 Awesome Online Marketing Tips from Jeff Bullas
Offsprout is the only WordPress website builder for freelancers and agencies.
Jeff Bullas is simply a great marketer.
When it comes to content marketing and social media marketing, his blog is a goldmine of valuable insight.
He’s been named the number one content marketing influencer by Onalytica and ranked number eight on Forbes’ list of the world’s top talent in social media. He is also a bestselling author, marketing consultant, keynote speaker, and his blog gets more than 300k hits per month.
If you want to how to make online marketing work for you or stay on top of the latest trends, this is your guy.
If you haven’t heard about Jeff Bullas until now, don’t worry. I’ve gathered some of his best insights and broke them down into several sections.
Increase Your Rankings
- High-Quality Content. One of the most important metrics that can affect your SEO is “dwell” time or the amount of time that visitors spend on your page before returning to the search results. The more information and valuable insights you can provide your visitors, the more time they’ll spend on your website. Studies have shown that content between 2000-2500 words ranks the highest in search results. However, the quality of the content weighs more than the quantity.
- Page Load Speed. Search engines place great importance on page loading speed. Users might leave your website if it takes more than a few seconds to load, which in turn can affect your Dwell time, increase bounce rate, and reduce the number of pages viewed. Optimize image sizes, clean your code and reduce the number of plugins to increase page load speed.
- Header Tags. You might work hard to create quality content, but if your blog posts look like a giant block of text, almost no one will take the time to read them. Good formatting is essential, and it can make or break the user experience of your site. Use header tags to make your website easier to read, improve user experience, and your SEO ranking.
- Outbound Links. One of the best ways to give your blog posts more weight and value is to add outbound links to authority sources from your content. That way, you’re not only increasing the usefulness of your content, but also sending trust signals to Google.
- Use Different Multimedia. You can use different multimedia, such as images, videos, audio, or slideshows to deliver the information in a way that improves the user experience.
If you want to learn more tips on how to improve your SEO ranking, read this full post here.
Become an Influencer
- Try to Be Everywhere. When people see a company everywhere (TV shows, newspapers, etc.), they conceive it as a brand. Your online brand works on the same basic principle. When people see you everywhere, they start to think about you as a brand. Guest blog, offer video interviews, get into podcasts, and attend industry events to make your presence everywhere.
- Don’t Neglect Your Social Media Profiles. Social media can be one of your biggest assets to building your brand. But, learn how to use it in a smart way. If you are on Facebook, for instance, join some authoritative groups to gain exposure and build trust.
- Attend Industry Events. Industry events are a great opportunity to meet with your audience, talk with them, and understand their needs better. They can also help you build a strong relationship with your followers.
- Interact with Your Audience. When a reader asks you a question on social media or in the comment section of your blog, you should answer them promptly. That way, you can strengthen your relationship with your readers and establish yourself as a helpful and reliable source.
For more tips about how to become an influencer in your niche, check out this article.
Social Media Hacks
- Leverage Content Curation. Creating quality content takes a lot of time and effort to research, write, and optimize. It can be hard to keep up with the demand. Content curation is a great way to share valuable information with your audience and remain on top of their minds. Be sure to focus on industry leaders when searching for content to curate. Use BuzzSumo to see what’s trending. Also, don’t just share content, but add you own thoughts and insights to it, as well.
- Give Active Followers the VIP Treatment. Some of your followers are more active than others. Their sharing and commenting are an essential part of your journey to influence on social media. Make sure they know how much you appreciate their engagement. Share and comment on their posts if they are trying to build their own social media presence as well. Analyze their posts to determine what their needs are and create content tailored to their preferences. Offer discounts, access to specialized content, or other incentives to your most engaged followers.
- Don’t Be Afraid to Break the Rules. One of the best social media advice you will get is that you need to learn how to balance your knowledge and instinct with “the rules.” Make a habit of collecting data and analyzing them to see what works and what not. Just because the latest social media trend promises to make your engagement go through the roof, it doesn’t mean that it’s going to work for your audience.
- Get the Attention of Influencers. Although each share and comment counts, some are more valuable than others. When an industry leader shares your posts or comments on them, people pay attention. Getting influencers to notice you requires a bit of legwork, such as becoming one of their VIP followers, ask them for interviews, quotes, or reviews, invite them to guest blog for you, or ask them if they are willing to sit for an AMA session on your channel.
This post here has more great tips about powerful social media hacks.
- Guest Blogging. Most successful bloggers are struggling to keep up with the high demand, so they are more than happy to accept a guest blog. There’s one condition, though; you need to create a quality article that offers a unique perspective and adds value to their audience. Once you have done that, contact influencers in your niche and offer your article for free.
- Publish Your Best Content on Medium. Building an audience is no easy task, especially if you are just starting out. So, you need to take advantage of every opportunity you get. With more than 12.5 million unique visitors per month, Medium is a great platform that can help you put your content in from of a large audience.
- Build a Social Media Following. Social media can help you get a lot of free traffic and establish your name in the industry. Although Facebook is getting more and more crowded every day, there are other platforms that still allow for bootstrapping growth. Twitter, for instance, continues to be one of the best social media channels for free organic traffic.
- Share Influencer Content on Autopilot. There are a lot of “meformers” on social media, people who only post updates about themselves. If you want to build an audience, you need to become an informer or someone who uses social media to share useful information that adds value to people’s lives. You can share influencer content manually or use an app, such as Buffer or IFTTT, to automate the process.
- Write Evergreen Articles. Evergreen content maintains authority over time because it remains relevant for years to come. Focus on writing articles that your audience will find helpful and relevant regardless of if they read them today or two years later.
- Personalize Your Content Recommendations. One of the best ways to make leads stay longer on your website and increase their chance of converting is to offer personalized content recommendations. For example, you can insert a small pop-up with a link to another post that is highly enticing and is relevant to their interest. As visitors scroll through your page, the pop-up will attract their attention, redirect them to another page, and make them stay longer on your site.
- Step Up Your Retargeting Game. If you want to build a successful lead generation strategy, make sure your prospects see your content on relevant sites if they happen to leave your page without converting. For instance, if you are a wedding photographer then you should advertise on websites that offer wedding and lifestyle tips.
- Leverage One-to-One Conversations. Page messaging for businesses, an option introduced recently by Facebook, might just be the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to lead nurturing. Not only that you can engage directly with your prospects, but you can also project yourself as a prompt and helpful business. One-to-one conversations can be a great way to turn leads into customers, even better than emails.
If you want to learn more about how to nurture leads, make sure to read this full post.
- Have a Plan. Starting your outreach after your content was already published might get you a few links or social shares, but it’s not going to help you reach the level of success you are aiming for. You need to focus on building relationships with industry and media influencers. That way, when you post something new, the chance of getting someone with a massive audience to share your content increases dramatically.
- Use Data to Backup Your Claims. With over two million new articles shared every day, you have to ensure that yours can bring something new to the table. Otherwise, it will drown in a sea of boring and useless content. One great way to make your posts stand out is to ensure that they are backed up by strong data or opinion. Use Freedom of Information Request to get access to a broad range of information from public authorities or approach industry leaders for their take on a particular topic.
- Distribute Effectively. If you published an article, but no one saw it, did it really happen? If you want to put your content in front of as many people as possible, you need to shout about it as loud as you can and in as many different places as possible. Share it on your social media profiles several times over the course of weeks or even months.
- Use the Best Content Distribution Tools. The amount of content that fights for attention is staggering. Fortunately, there are several tools you can use to deliver your content to your audience at the right time. Here are some of the best ones.
SimpleReach – helps you identify the type of content that will drive the maximum traffic.
Outbrain – you can submit links to your content, which is then featured on various high authority sites.
Taboola – this is a content discovery platform that helps content creators drive more traffic by getting their posts recommended by top publishers.
I could sit at my laptop for days and compile a list of useful online marketing tips from Jeff Bullas that is as long as a Dostoevsky novel. But, I won’t do that. Instead, I am going to recommend that you subscribe to his newsletter and read his blogs religiously. They are packed with information and precious insights that you can’t find anywhere else.
I’ve also included the reference posts on Jeff Bullas’ blog for any topic that requires an in-depth study. I highly recommend reading them.
Do you have a favorite blog that is your trusted go-to resource whenever you have a question about online marketing or want to see what’s new in the industry?
Free 14-day trial. Easy setup. Cancel any time.
get everything for only $9/month
Offsprout was founded by two former college freshman roommates. Drawing from their experience building their web design business, JurisPage, which was acquired in 2016, Offsprout is singularly focused on being the best white label website building tool for web design businesses.